In a world that is gradually becoming warmer and warmer, there has been a steep rise in the use of air conditioners. Almost every other well-to-do family has an air conditioner these days and why not! Who would love to come back from the scorching heat and take time to cool down under the fan? The flip side to this is, there has also been a rise in the refrigerants not working properly in many of the air conditioners. This has got nothing to do with global warming or anything like that. In general, the huge usage of ACs has led the machines to falter at times. So, what do you when you notice all of a sudden that your AC is not emitting cold air?
This is something very common with ACs. What’s more interesting is the fact that this problem is unavoidable even if you bring home the most expensive AC in the market. Why’s that? This is because the refrigerant that helps to cool the temperature of the room is filled with gas. After a few years, this gas will run out. Therefore, the AC will not be able to cool your room down. Instead, it will keep running and give you a hefty electric bill. But, how will you understand if there is a critical problem with the benefits of modern refrigerants? Let’s find out.
- The evaporator coil may freeze – this happens when the refrigerant leaks. It is one of the most serious problems and needs to be attended quickly. When the AC is low on refrigerant, the evaporator coil gets too cold too quickly. This causes fast condensation and it causes the coil to freeze. It can also go on to insulate the coil creating further problems to the refrigerant and the AC altogether.
- AC runs on short cycles – when there is enough refrigerant in the AC, you will notice that the system has a longer cycle. The clutch will go off after long periods of time. However, when the refrigerant is low or there is a leakage, the system will start to run only for a brief period before going off. This causes the compressor to overheat and when this goes on for a long time, it can cause the AC to shut down completely.
- The AC emits warm air – another common symptom when there is something wrong with the refrigerant. The AC will struggle to keep the room cool and you might feel there is warm air being emitted from the vents. Before the problem increases, it would be best to get in touch with the experts and get the refrigerant recharged or replaced.
Things To Do When You Encounter A Critical Refrigerant Problem
There can be various reasons why the refrigerant is not working properly. You should not only know the symptoms but also the steps you need to take when you face such problems. Here are some of the things you should do when there are problems with the refrigerant of the AC:
- Frozen coils – although this might not seem to be a direct problem of the refrigerant the experts will tell that it is because of the leak in the refrigerant that has caused the coils to freeze. When the air conditioner stops blowing cold air, there is a tendency for the coils to get frozen. You will have to switch the AC first and then call the professionals. By the time they arrive, you can keep the fan of the thermostat running so that it can melt some of the oil accumulated on the coil. You can also check the evaporator coil and air filters for dust or dirt.
- AC emits warm air – another common problem created by the refrigerant. It is high time that you get the thermostat checked by an expert. This normally happens when the AC runs out of refrigerant to cool the temperature. However, you may want to check the air filters too before calling the service provider. There are times when the air filters get jammed because of too much dust. You can clean the dirt from the filters on your own. Open the lid of the AC and see where the filters are. Slowly pull them out and clean them with a brush, liquid soap, and water and put them back. If the refrigerant is low, the professionals would arrange to recharge the refrigerant to make the AC work normally again.
- Leaking refrigerant – one of the most dangerous problems that your refrigerant may face is leakage. There will be hissing noises from the AC when this happens. If the leak is small, you may not be able to understand at first. The AC will continue to run but it will not cool the temperature as it used to. After a few days when the leak is big enough, you will hear the frequent hissing noises.
As soon as you encounter this problem, you should call the professionals because the refrigerant would need immediate recharging. After that, the leak has to be repaired. The experts have access to leak repair kits and they are the best people to repair such leaks. There are so many parts that have to be handled carefully and sometimes, the repairs may involve heavy duty soldering too.
- Short cycling – when the refrigerant leaks or the thermostat does not work properly or the filters are too dirty, the AC starts and stops very frequently. This is a sign that you need to call the experts quickly. It can increase your electricity bills to a great extent. You can check the filters manually but if they are fine, then it must be a case of a refrigerant leak. Get it recharged as soon as possible.
AC has become a necessity these days instead of a luxury. You just can’t live without it. So, if you are not ready to live without it, then make sure it is in good hands when you face a problem with the refrigerant.